Prep this Italian classic in your slow cooker before you leave for work and come home to a delicious and healthy meal.
- 3 pounds skinless chicken breast, legs and thighs 2 medium onions, sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 green or red peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced (or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic in the jar) 14.5 oz can low sodium tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
This recipe can be made in a slow cooker or the oven. If cooking in an oven, preheat to 225 degrees. Place onions, mushrooms, and peppers on bottom of the slow cooker or pan with a lid if you are cooking in the oven. Lay chicken pieces over the vegetables. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour over chicken. Cook in the slow cooker on low or oven for 6-7 hours. If you want to cook it faster you can put in the oven at 325 degrees for 2-3 hours. Serves 10.
Nutrition Information (per 1 cup serving):
- Protein-34 grams
- Carbohydrates-15 grams
- Fiber-4 grams
- Fat-9 grams
- Sodium-500 mg (based on canned tomatoes with 150 mg sodium per 1⁄4 cup; sodium content varies with brand of canned tomatoes used)